Over this last few years especially, I have become really, really grateful for some amazing friends.
A lot of amazing friends really.
Of all shapes and sizes.
Older, younger, those who stand with me in faith, those who haven’t yet found faith, those who are my wise mentors, those who are my faithful pray-ers, those I laugh with, those I cry with, those I just live life well with.
I am grateful.
I have experienced first-hand those words from Proverbs 17 v 17, ‘A friend loves at all times…’
But I am especially grateful and thankful and blessed by a particularly wonderful friend, who this blog post in dedicated to.
She is wonderful and inspirational and brilliant in equal measures.
And here are 10 reasons why.
In no particular order.
1. Becca and me share more in-jokes than the combination of most people I know. Like the toffs from Cambridge, the hilarity of boat shoes, the dancing leaping gazelle worship, the MANY awkward moments, the pencil-throwing-poems, and the in-car dancing. Good friendship is formed through the fire, but also I think, through some seriously loud belly-laughs.
2. Becca never complains. Like, ever. She works one of the most inspirational jobs that I could never ever do, saves the lives of kids on a daily basis, gets just as much joy out of reading stories on the children’s ward as administering complicated treatment, cracks a 50+ hour week in, comes straight off a night shift to church, and is still smiling. Most people would grumble, but I have never heard her complain. Ever.
3. Becca has a testimony of God’s grace that her whole life radiates and that she is proud of. Because she’s proud of what God has rescued her from. Has life been tough? Yes. But is God healer? Definitely. And looking at her life reminds me of God’s faithfulness.
4. Becca has the most amazing and eclectic taste in music. And she plays Taylor Swift really loudly in my car. I know some of you may think that those things sound in conflict with each other. But I would whole-heartedly disagree. Because I don’t know about you, but I’m feeling twenty-twoooo… 😉
5. Becca never gets annoyed when I play musical instruments loudly at random times of the day. In fact, she often just sings with me. Which is ace. Because I like singing harmony to someone who can told the melody. They are sometimes hard to find.
6. Becca has the best prayer hair in the world. Mainly because it is the thickest hair in the world. Ever. Like, ever. Seriously, if I ever go bald, she could make me three wigs and still have more hair than the average human being. No joke. It really is quite incredible.
7. Becca is wise. She knows her Bible. She loves to pray. She gives great advice. Boom.
8. Becca has the greatest stories. In the world. Ever. Like the man at her driving school who today told her about his planned trip to Australia to ride ostriches. I don’t know where she meets these people. But I am glad she does.
9. Becca goes to the effort of cooking when I can’t be bothered. And then texts me at work to tell me this fact so that I am motivated through my last meetings of the day. Everyone should pray for a friend who can cook. It might be one of the greatest blessings in the world. And actually, it’s refreshing to have a friend who also likes to eat proper meals too. I have too many salad-buddies. And I hate salad.
10. Becca shows me God’s love through her friendship. She is faithfully there, fiercely protective, and always supportive. And I am proud that she is my sister in faith and all that serious stuff, but I’m also really glad that she’s never embarrassed of my wacky clothes, or my crazy dancing, or my future vision. Really glad.
Yep. So there you have it.
They, and many more things, are some of the reasons that Becca is a great friend.
Thank you Jesus. For my friend Becca.